Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sevilla: Una ciudad hermosa

Sooo I kinda forgot about my blog since last week cause I've been soo busy! The first weekend was soo fun! We went to Calle Betis and Calle Alfalfa and barhopped everywhere. Also I had my first botellon experience which is just a huge outdoor pregame under el torre del oro. I still have to get used to a) being able to drink legally and b) being able to do it in public...When I went outside at a bar I felt like I had to hide my drink when en realidad, no es necesario. Next time I'm definitely gonna buy something better for botellon though because the 55 cent wine was not cutting it. I guess you get what you pay for...Over the weekend we did some shopping but I tried to hold back even though now is when all the rebajas (sales) are. We also did alot of walking and exploring which was a little rough on my feet so since then I've gotten a week long Sevici pass which allows you to just pick up a bike at any of around 20 something stations throughout the city..I love it so far and riding a bike everywhere reminds me of my Block Island days when that was my main mode of transportation...In the craziness of the first week I ended up being too tired to watch the superbowl...but the whole idea of it made me miss America a little since its kind of a tradition...oh well, missing it made me less tired for my first day of classes the next day...I started out the first day with three classes...cine, historia contemporanea, y literatura...my history and cine professors were nice, funny and easy to understand...I think I may end up dropping history though since it is a 9 am and I don't actually need to take 5 classes. Right now I think that cine may end up being my favorite class since it sounds sooo easy and the movies seem funny and interesting for the most part. The literature class was terrible so today I'm trying a new one and hopefully it will be mas facil. On my second day of classes I had cultural anthropology and flamenco. I think I will end up liking cultural anthropology alot cause the professor was really nice. We had a sub for flamenco but I have high hopes for that class as well. I haven't tried to many new foods except for tostadas, helado de galleta (cookie flavored ice cream ;-)) and some weird Arab fruit that Fina gave us...I also tried 55 cent vino tinto when we sat by el rio yesterday to watch the sunset...it was alot better than the 55 cent vino blancoo...There is so much to look forward to in the next few months...in February alone we have an excursion to Granada and a long weekend when Elena and I are going to BARCELONA! I can't wait to visit Jacki and see all the exciting new places there! Also, my parents are coming which will be great and I can't wait to show them around even though I barely know that many places so far...After February I think I will definitely go to Ireland and Lagos, Portugal...If i can manage it I really want to try to go to Italy and Amsterdam but I don't know if I'll be able to...One great thing is that we have two spring breaks (although one is feria which I'm hesitant to miss) and we always have off on Fridays...I am also excited for our trip to Morocco in March...This weekend is Kerry's birthday so it should be an awesome time and we might go wine tasting at a vineyard outside of Sevilla...I'm so excited

Okay I'm done rambling but here are some random observations:
1) Our school is so confusing...its just one building (an old tobacco factory) in the shape of a huge square so you'd think it'd be easy but its not...there is no rhyme or reason to the rooms and some numbers are Roman numerals while others aren't...room 113 and room XVI might be right next to eachother and the hallways are so windy and weird....I have yet to make it to class on time and I leave like half an hour early but every day it gets a little easier..
2) I needed to buy something so I bought a poster today and I'm gonna go back and get a Universidad de Sevilla sweatshirt :-)
3) Restaurants are really weird here...sometimes you order at a counter and sit at a table and others a waiter comes up...and they never bring you the bill when you want it..you basically have to beg them to pay and you never tip which I love
4) In our house the TV is always on...during lunch dinner and pretty much all day...pretty different than the US and the house is still FREEZING even though its hot outside
5) I don't like walking and I need to stop hating it so much.
6) I wish I had a real phone instead of a stupid, expensive Piccelll

Okay enough ranting, picture time!
mi cama y dos cuadros de fina

plaza de cuba where alot of us meet to walk to class...cruzcampo is a type of beer ;)

living room in the apartment!

a crew of spanish boys who serenaded me brittney tayler and kerry

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kimber-Love your blog,pics are a nice addition!! Keep us posted its nice to live vicariously through you(LOL)Mom

    ReplyDelete